GST (Goods and services tax) is an Indirect tax (tax on consumption) which has replaced by many Indirect taxes in India. Since GST is a consumption tax where people who are engaged in the business with annual turnover exceeds Rs. 40 lakhs (Service providers 20 lakhs) is required to register as a normal taxable person. The regulations are applicable to across India who purchasing good and services.
Who need GST Registration?
As per rules formed under GST Act following persons shall get registered under the act and obtain GSTN number.
- Person required to deduct tax under section 51 of the Act (a department or establishment of the Central Government or State Government, local authority, Governmental agencies).
- every electronic commerce operator (hereafter in this section referred to as the “operator”), not being an agent, shall collect an amount calculated at such rate not exceeding one per cent., as may be
- Every supplier shall be liable to be registered under this Act in the State or Union territory, other than special category States, from where he makes a taxable supply of goods or services or both, if his aggregate turnover in a financial year exceeds forty lakh rupees. In case of service provider the turnover limit is Rs.20 lakhs
- Every person being an Input Service Distributor shall make a separate application for registration as such Input Service Distributor
How to get registered under GST?
For obtaining GST Registration a Company has to file an application a Form GST REG-01 at the GST common portal www.gst.gov.in with required details and documents. GST Registration is a 100% online process and there is no requirement of submission of physical documents to GST Department.
GST Registration Steps
STEP-1: Application at GST Common Portal
The applicant declare his Permanent Account Number, mobile number, e-mail address and place of registration in Part A of Form GST REG-01 at the GST common portal www.gst.gov.in
- The Permanent Account Number shall be validated online by the common portal from the database maintained by the Central Board of Direct Taxes.
- The mobile number shall be verified through a one-time password sent to the said mobile number; an
- The e-mail address declared shall be verified through a separate one-time password sent to the said e-mail address.
On successful verification of PAN, Mobile Number and E-mail address, a Temporary Reference Number (TRN) shall be generated and communicated to the applicant on mobile number and e-mail address.
STEP-2: Submission of Documents at GST Common Portal
Using the Temporary Reference Number (TRN), the applicant has to submit an application in Part B of Form GST REG-01 with required documents at the common portal duly signed and verified with Digital Signature
STEP-3: Acknowledgement of Application
On receipt of an application an acknowledgement shall be issued electronically to the applicant in Form GST REG-02.
STEP-4: Verification of the application and approval
The proper officer shall examine the application and the submitted documents within three days application and if the same are found to be in order, shall approve the grant of registration to the applicant.
The timeline may vary from time to time. However the result of processing will be generally available in 7-10 days of application.
If there is any deficiency in the application or if the officer requires any clarification on any information provided in the application or documents furnished, he may issue a notice to the applicant electronically in FORM GST REG-03
The Applicant has to file required details and clarification documents electronically, in FORM GST REG-04 within a period of 7 working days from the date of receipt of such notice.
If there no reply is furnished by the applicant within the stipulated time or where the proper officer is not satisfied with the clarification, the application shall be rejected by the officer and the same will be communicated to the applicant electronically in Forn GST REG-05.
STEP-4: Issue of GST Registration certificate.
After verification of the application by the officer and if the application has been approved, a certificate of registration in Form GST REG-06 shall be issued to the applicant on the common portal and a Goods and Services Tax Identification Number (GSTIN) shall be assigned to the applicant.
Certificate of GST Registration shall be duly signed or verified through electronic verification code by the officer under the Act. There will not be any physical certificate issued by the GST Department.