What is Registered Office of Company?
Every company shall have an office as registered office within thirty days of its incorporation and at all times thereafter, have a registered office capable of receiving and acknowledging all communications and notices as may be addressed to it.
A Company is an artificial legal person with existence under the eyes of law. Registered Office refers to the official correspondence address of a company or its principal place of business. The address of the Registered Office will be used for all official communications of the company.
At the time of incorporation of a Company, an address can be identified as a temporary address for registration or as a permanent address. In case the company choose a temporary address, the same has to be verified within 30 days of the incorporation to the Registrar.
Display / Publication of Address
Every company shall:
- Have a name board pained or affixed its name and the address of its registered office on the outside of every office or place in which its business is carried on, in a conspicuous position, in legible letters and characters. If the name board is in a language generally used in that locality, the details have to displayed in a language commonly used in that area.
- Have its name engraved in legible characters on Common Seal, if any.
- Get its name, address of its registered office and the Corporate Identity Number (CIN) along with telephone number, fax number, if any, e-mail and website addresses, if any, printed in all its business letters, billheads, letter papers and in all its notices and other official publications; and
- Have its name printed on hundies, promissory notes, bills of exchange and such other documents as may be prescribed:
Where the name of a company is changed during the last two years, it shall paint or affix the former name along with its current name.
Penalty / Consequences of Default
In case a company has defaulted in complying with the requirements, the company and every officer who is in default shall be liable to a penalty of one thousand rupees for every day during which the default continues but not exceeding one lakh rupees.
In case the company choose a temporary address at the time of registration and the same has not verified within 30 days of the incorporation, the registrar has reasonable cause to believe that the company is not carrying on any business or operations. He may cause a physical verification of the registered office of the company and if any default is found to be made in complying with the requirements, he may initiate action for the removal of the name of the company from the register of companies.
Changes in Registered office of Company
A Company can change its registered office from one place to another place after complying the requirements under the Companies Act.
The Registered Office change will fall under any of the following categories:
- Shifting of Registered Office within the same city
- Shifting of Registered Office from one city to another city in a state
- Shifting of Registered Office from one city to another city in a state between two ROC offices
- Shifting of Registered Office from one state to another state
Company has to submit a notice of every change of the situation of the registered office, shall be given to the Registrar within thirty days of the change.